Using data to drive solutions for all seasons
The amount of data created by growers is continually increasing, from what was planted, sprayed, fertilized and harvested and can inform the decision of what to repeat or avoid the following year. Until recently these records were usually on paper, but now software platforms are available that can keep track of more data types more easily. What’s more, these systems can take advantage of Proagrica’s advanced agriculture network, providing expert analysis and insight to guide farmers to make well-informed decisions.
Different data points become more important during each season
Data can aid decision making on a wide variety of operational and agronomic issues. As you collect data from your farms, livestock and fields, it’s important to extract value from it, rather than create a data stockpile. Focusing your efforts for maximum seasonal impact can reduce data overload and provide vital information when needed. Here are a few tips on how to prioritize data analysis in each season.
- Create targeted soil sampling points using data types such as historical yield, soil types, electrical conductivity (EC), elevation, etc. This type of sampling can truly match field variability.
- Use a single source or combination of soil sampling, yield, EC, and soil type to create field-specific fertilizer recommendations.
- Compare the performance of seed varieties using planting and yield data as a tool in the seed sales process.
- Create crop plans for seeds and herbicides, leveraging previous years’ planting and scouting data created in applications like Sirrus.
- Use historical yield data to create planting recommendations to match yield environments that optimize your customers’ seed investment.
- Record product rates and dates of planting and herbicide applications using mobile products or field computer data.
Use mobile field applications along with a combination of as-applied data to target and record crop emergence and early stand counts.
- Perform scouting with mobile applications like Sirrus using such data types as planting, imagery, and weather to perform directed scouting that optimizes your time in the field.
- Create in-season nitrogen management plans using soil sampling, scouting, planting, and weather data.
- Aggregate scouting data from mobile applications like Sirrus to monitor trends throughout the season for insect and disease pressure.
Proagrica unites agriculture with an advanced network of data connectivity. Find out what it can do for your workflow.
Contact us today to find how your business can benefit